Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Glory of God all Around You



Years ago, many years ago, I read a book by Peter Jenkins called “ A Walk Across America”. A fascinating book, but an even better one, was the one he wrote later called “ The Road Unseen”. In this one, he writes about the amazing transformation of heart he had during this odyssey of his, for along the way he found God. He was working for National Geographic, so the original book is strictly secular, but he obviously had a more amazing tale to tell in this second book about the much deeper dimension of his trip.

Not that this is as dramatic as that, but I thought on Sunday’s, at least, I would love to give credit where credit is due, and this time, it isn’t to my dog. Invert that spelling; add the capital, and God is the one I want to praise. For really, the purpose of my walk each day is to go out and pray. For my family, for friends, for soldiers we know, and yet, of course, as I always tell God, his creation distracts me! But that’s OK, I do get distracted, but then he and I stand in amazement at what I am seeing. I do a lot of “Yea God’s”; “Isn’t this incredible! Thank you for letting me see it”, and then, we get back to the business of praying.

As for the “ Glory of God”, I have a habit of asking him each day to show me his “Glory”. And he knows I’m not asking him to part the waters of the pond, but just anything that shouts of his design, his attention to detail. Take for instance, the moss we discussed yesterday. Didn’t that amaze you at how intricate the whole spore dispersal apparatus was? Glory! I also love the prayer from the Creed, “I believe in God, (and I do) maker of heaven and earth (and he is) of all that is seen and unseen.” And there I stop, and say, “Oh Father, show me the unseen.” And again, I am not asking for angelic apparitions, but rather to see the little things, the unseen things. The oak apple gall in spring when it is just beginning to swell, a dragonfly just coming out of its nymphs exoskeleton.

So, know that for each thing I have written about, for each serendipitous encounter with nature, I am not giving serendipity the credit, but God. It makes for a wonderful way to start the day and to live out the meaning of the verse; “I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10. And so he has. And what do we say? Thank you God!

3 comments:

  1. What a great prayer!! to ask God to show one His glory. How can he resists? May we, having seen His glory, then let it transform us..so that it spills over onto others. May we live for the praise of his glory..to make him famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom I learned a word in spanish the other day that should be become your new word for Glory when you're in TX. Its "alabanza" and it translates to raise this to God's face and sing. It's so pretty to say and even better to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that a lovely concept..and sounds cool, you will have to give me the right pronunciation..alabanza, as it is written? Glory at the moment is the sand around us that is allowing much of this rain to soak through, you should see the flooding on the mainland..poor folks that live by rivers.."build your house on a solid rock" is always good advice!

    ReplyDelete