Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Flights of Fancy

One of the treats of coming south, soon after migration, is I have the pleasure of imagining I am seeing the progress of the birds that a month ago where gathering in flocks on the marsh, or at my bog, now gathering here in TN. Of course, “my” birds, given the month that has elapsed, more than likely would have made it farther than TN by now, perhaps all the way to their winter digs. But there are surely flocks here, so why not imagine them as familiar friends.

The very first day I was here, we took Elena to the playground I loved last spring that is surrounded by woods and a stream. The trees, which looked to be some kind of crab apple, were teaming with the familiar “perp, perp, perp” of robins.
Not the dark breasted Canadian variety, but our summer robins. What ho! Good to see you!
Then just yesterday, travelling down the highway on yet another Christmas errand, the radio was playing the Nutcracker, the “Waltz of the Flowers” selection, when a flock of blackbirds started to fly, not only in tandem with the car, but in time to the music! It looked for all the world like they were auditioning for a remake of “Fantasia”. Forget the waltzing flowers, have you thought of rolling and spiraling blackbirds in the role? Ah, a bit of Christmas magic.


And when we cut down our tree in the Blue Ridge over Thanksgiving, not only was it on a beautiful rolling hillside, but also, the air was alive with bluebirds. Anyone I know out there? Very likely a local flock for they could easily summer and winter here. Still, it felt good to see them.

In my daughters yard the cardinals that we saw wooing in the spring seem present and accounted for, all with head feathers in line now, the “vulture” look that male had in the spring replaced by a full head of feathers. Rogaine to the rescue!
The Carolina Wren pair “teakettles” about the bushes and flocks of Goldfinch and Purple Finch have returned to the feeder.
My daughter is perhaps too busy or too disinterested to keep up the bird-feeding regime, but as soon as I arrive, the Italian Nona is setting out a spread for the birds again and it amazes me how quickly the word spreads. Clearly they have caught on to texting, for in a weeks time we are seeing the feeder drained every other day. I am doing my best to teach Elena to check it and then bug one parent or another to help her fill it.

Yesterday, our Advent chain told us to make peanut butter pine cones for the birds, and although yesterday they were left fairly untouched, my guess is that will not be the case for long. At home, the crows make off with them entirely, or the squirrels, so we shall see how long they last here. I am sure my daughter will be “thrilled” to add this task to her others when I leave. Smearing peanut butter, rolling in birdseed. It is the essence of childhood isn’t it?

Well, this migratory bird will be heading north again tomorrow. Not exactly going “as the crow flies”. Rather, four flights will be needed to get me from Knoxville to Providence by way of Ft Lauderdale! But if they are willing to give me four rides for less than one I will take it! I love flying, so why not. And my optimistic husband feels certain that with so many connections I am bound to miss one and thereby garner a free ticket somewhere! I think I would just rather make it home. Back to a dog that needs to go re-scent his trails, back to a bog that might have a new set of winter ducks, back to a house that is still decked, not with holly, but with Cornucopias and pumpkins. I think I have some work ahead of me.

I do hope your holidays are making you Merry, not crazy. For those of us who celebrate Christmas, I am always aware that I am ready for the Real Christmas at any moment, the Yeah God part, the thrill of what He did for me by coming, but the Commercial Christmas is quite a different matter, always two steps behind. But that is the one that, in the end, in the ultimate end, matters very little. So, with that in mind, may we just make Merry and find joy in the little things, the feeding of birds, and oh delight! the falling of snowflakes, even in TN! Wishing you all Joy in December and with enough spare time to refill YOUR feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment