Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Innocent Until Proven Guilty

That’s pretty much the doctrine that I am living by here, at least in the first year on our Texas property- Innocent Until Proven Guilty.  Of course, it was that doctrine that resulted in a dog that needs to be de-burred each day.  A doctrine that led to my medicine cabinet being full of things like “chigger-aid”, and most recently, it led to an overnight disappearance of grape leaves on our grape vines; yet, the doctrine is still in place.

Past blogs have dealt with the burrs and chiggers, and how I came to provide such a haven for both, but the disappearance of the grape leaves, and quite a bit of other foliage, I think you can guess.  The “Very Hungary Caterpillar” was, under this “Live and Let Live” policy, given free rein to enjoy all that lay before it, and it did. 
 Again, ignorance is to blame.  Very early in the spring, a moth caught my eye that was fairly small, but had the largest white spots on black wings, and orange markings on its legs that reminded me of pollen baskets on a bee.  My first thought was that it was a butterfly, for it’s colors were so striking, and it was out by day, and it had very slender antennae even enlarged on the ends-all hallmarks of a butterfly.  However, when I couldn’t find it in any butterfly book, I took a closer look, and saw that it didn’t have the “club” at the end of the antennae, just a thickened antennae and, more characteristically, it rested with its wings open.  Ah, a moth then.  Well, moths are far harder to ID for it seems there isn’t a big demand for Moth Identification books, so good luck when you want to know who is who. 

I tried googling it, putting in identifying marks, plus our location in Texas-nothing.  I did find out though that there are over 7,500 different moth species in Texas, and less than 500 butterflies.  Giving refuge to every caterpillar in the hope it will turn into some fabulous butterfly seems statistically unlikely then.  Plus, that explains the lack of moth Id books; that would be one large text to lug around.  I took to calling it a “Mortadella moth”, a nod to my Italian ancestry, the white circles on its wings, reminded me of the white fat globs in mortadella sausage.  Not that that really seemed to paint a clear picture to those I explained it too; apparently not a lot of mortadella connoisseurs here in Texas. 

Either way, it was a lovely little moth and seemed to fly up in clouds from the grape vine when I would pass by.  Charming.  Now run the tape ahead a few weeks, moths have disappeared but in their place, about a zillion caterpillars with striped black white and, orange bodies and charming yellow spotted faces, like yellow ladybugs with a caterpillar body, start showing up. Within a week, the once covered with leaves, grape vines, are stripped to the core. Stink.

My husband was able to find, in the, as yet, unpacked books, the Golden Guide Butterfly and Moth book from 1964 and don’t you know, there it is, the 8 Spotted Forester Moth, at least that is what it was called then, and what do the larva eat?  Grape and woodbine.  And they are double brooded.  Not sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good.  Due to all the fabulous rain we have been getting, the grapes are making a valiant stab at leaf growing, part two, but I fear the caterpillar may see their effort and raise it with, leaf eating, part two, if double brood means this cycle will repeat.  But even knowing the havoc they will wreak, could I really start whacking away at a moth that is so reminiscent of a sausage that hails from my family’s hometown of Bologna?  I think not. 

So we need to amend that- “Innocent even AFTER being proved Guilty”.  And to be honest, this is only one species of caterpillar from at least a dozen different kinds that covered my deck, crawled up our walls, shed their exoskeletons all over the place and were allowed to make it to the pupa stage, which they are now in, all in the name of science and a general curiosity to see what leads to what in this Lepidoptera rich yard I have inherited.  Expect more blogs on remorse to follow.  Well, remorse isn’t really the right word, for I am enjoying it all, even if some plants, perhaps, wish I would take a more protective role.  Enlightenment is maybe the better word.  Stay tuned then, more enlightenment to follow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment