Saturday, October 20, 2012

Down the Rabbit Hole




I think it has easily been 6 weeks since I made any entries into this blog and perhaps that demands an explanation.   It appears I had far TOO good a time on my trip back to the Northeast this summer; the Cape felt like I had never left, the friends were wonderful to see, my daughters home in Maine seemed lovely, I was delighted to be with my grandchildren and well, I guess just heading my car back west caused a little more sadness than I expected.

Maybe it was the triple digit temperatures I returned too, or the many mosquito bites that each could contain Equine Encephalitis but for what ever reason I seemed to slip each day back into a depression that I thought I had shaken the year before when just the thought of leaving the Cape had thrown me for a mental loop.  

It is frightening how we can turn our mind from a traditionally joyful spirit to one of much more doom and gloom and do that all by ourselves.  I was clearly my own worst enemy here. But now the temperatures are receding to the 80’s or so and although it seems nothing like fall, it is time for me to get on with it and try and recapture the joy that always led me in the past.  To that end I had better try opening my eyes again to what is around me and getting it down on paper.  Bear with me then, as this will be an exercise in, with God’s help, “restoring my soul”. 

The flora and fauna are changing here again, I do feel the statement is so true that “the more you know the more you know you don’t know”.  That is the reality I am living in in Texas.  The rhythm of the year is still foreign to me, what to expect of plant life and animal life in any given season is a mystery, but I should try to pay attention so with each year, my expectation of what is to come can delight as it did on the Cape. So please Lord, may the healing begin, and may your world around me be a source of “restoring my soul”.  Amen, for this is truly a prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment