Friday, April 5, 2013

More Questions than Answers


I know I have mentioned several times that I am NOT an entomologist, and having lived in Texas for only 15 months, neither am I a Texan.  Perhaps then, being stumped by this spring’s lack of insect life, that I clearly remember covering the porch, front and back, last spring, isn’t that surprising.  I also remember looking forward to learning “what happened when”, so that I could begin to anticipate a repeat performance this year.

 I should have known better.  First, I always say, “You can’t guarantee nature”.  What you are fortunate enough to see one day, you may never see again.  I always site the year we saw a chipmunk swim across a salt marsh creek.  Chipmunks don’t hang out in salt marshes so one could only wonder and be thrilled to have been at the right place at the right time to see it.
Last winter, I don’t remember seeing a single Pine Siskin.  Yet here I am, months later, still trying to convince the hundred or so that are calling my oaks their home, that for heavens sake, they should be heading North to where actual PINES are and leave the expensive seed to those Lesser Goldfinches who should be nesting here.

But the most stunning change is this lack of arthropods covering the deck.  I remember being wowed by the hundreds of “harvestmen” (daddy longlegs) who were under the blanket that insulated the well when we arrived in January.  That crowd moved to the deck in late winter and made every corner of the covered porch look like it was sporting a beard.  This year, nada, not a one.  I remember being bowled over by the size of walking sticks that also hung out in any corner not covered by harvestmen, but they too are MIA.  So far, no paper wasps building their starter nests, no caterpillars crawling over windows, some of which still have the trails of hairy spines on them from last year.

Some of these I know were here in March, but maybe I am jumping the gun on others.  All the months sort of run together, so maybe I just need to be patient.  I did stick to my “Everyone is innocent until proven guilty” theory, so at least I don’t have any insect “blood” on my hands.  For that matter, I remember priding myself for having left the food chain intact.  Considering the immense number of caterpillars I had, moths did not overwhelm me.  The wasps, the “caterpillar hunter” beetle all must have done a good job. 

So, I have questions: did the wetter spring last year, cause the difference?  Possibly.  They say it was a warmer winter, but I have a hard time convincing my three-time-frosted-and now-about-dead, Crossvines that that is true.  Perhaps that altered the arrival of things.  The Red Admiral butterflies that covered my set out plates of smashed bananas aren’t here yet but I HAVE had constant Pipevine Swallowtails that I think showed up more in the summer time than spring.  Go figure.  As I said, more questions than answers.

Some things had the decency to show up when expected.  Flocks of Cedar Waxwings dip and fly than swoop into the trees like fighter pilots evading the enemy.  Those great Black Bellied Whistling ducks fly over the yard in the early morning going, well, wherever they go and the hummingbirds are back and doing their roller coaster courtship displays for unseen females in the trees.   
 So, I have the occasional joy of going “Aha, I thought you might be coming.”  Of course, this is what makes enjoying nature so much fun, you just never know; even when you THINK you know, you really don’t know. Does that make sense?

I will just have to keep watching, and tucking away new impressions that will all probably be completely altered again NEXT spring.  Job security, a naturalist’s job is never done!  May your spring be as unpredictable and thereby as entertaining, wherever you are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment