Monday, June 24, 2013

So many "Blogabilities"



It has been almost 6 weeks since I left Texas, and over that time, so much joy has accumulated, so many beautiful things have been seen; such a variety of nature has crossed my path, that the array of potential blog topics seems a bit overwhelming.  I am in a hotel as we speak but will push on for Michigan in a few moments for a friend that has been a constant in my life since the 5th grade. 

Seeing friends and family and regaining my “sense of place” has been the main point of this “after the baby” part of the trip and what I have sensed is that you could have plunked me down in any part of New England and I would have been a happy camper.  I have loved the traveling and sampling of the world the life of an Army wife has given me, but I also can see that my DNA would have been right at home with the earth mothers of Maine, or the fairy- loving folks in New Hampshire, or the back-to-nature world of artists and writers you find in the Berkshires where my brother is.  Joy and beauty is what I seen in all those places and lucky are those who have made it their home.

But, speaking of back to nature, when I was staying at my friend’s cottage on the lake in North Falmouth, the “seashell cottage” as my granddaughter calls it; I made a quick list of nature things that caught my eye while I was there.  Snippets of bird life,
the abundance of blooming plants in June, frog calls, nesting turtles, etc. and the list went on for over two pages.  So now, I hope to revisit those impressions and make them the backbone of blog topics over the next month or so.  The one snag is always the time to write them. 

I am currently waiting for summer traffic to subside in Niagara, before I launch across Canada for MI but perhaps, when I am back in Texas, where it will be too hot to be out much, perhaps then, I can recreate in my mind the lush green that was ever before me, and the chorus of dawn birds that were so familiar to my ear on the Cape.  That’s the hope; the reality will be, as always, the “tyranny of the urgent”; a house that has been neglected for 6 weeks, a dog that has been missing all that daily TLC and a husband who must, by now, be tired of eating all the frozen meals left for him. 

My hope for all of you is that your summer has begun with some chance of beauty filling your field of vision.  My favorite, much-thought-of, childhood rhyme of Robert Louise Stevenson always comes to mind,  “The world is so full of a number of things, I am sure we should all be as happy as Kings.”


No comments:

Post a Comment