Wednesday, January 29, 2014

“O Ye of Little Faith”


-->
A few weeks ago, I was lamenting the “Silent Spring” tone to my yard.  We had been gone for three weeks and upon our return the only bird that showed up with any regularity was a female, I think, Ruby Crowned Kinglet.  She was feeding on the suet that remained whereas all the seed was long gone and with it, most of our usual birds.  But of course, a few birds finally showed up, and the word began to spread and now, what a delightful group I have.

 Lesser Goldfinches, coming into their breeding colors, American Goldfinches, looking pretty robust next to the diminutive Lessers, and the getting-redder-every-day, House Finches.  But who did NOT show up with them this year; the gobbling-up, thistle eating, Pine siskins.  If you recall, last year they came in droves, to my initial delight and my later annoyance, as they wouldn’t leave.  They nest in the north, in PINES for crying out loud, yet refused to leave my thistle stocked deck until I practically had to get them all passports to Canada. 

So it was with bated breath that I have been listening for the telltale “zziiiiipppp” of their call but so far, none.  I have read that they are erratic in their migratory movements, one year coming and staying like long lost relatives, the next, not a sighting.  And so it seems to be. Fine with me for thistle is one, high priced birdseed. 

Also back, are not only the Scrub Jays but also my dear New England friends, the Blue Jays.  I had read that they are here in TX but I don’t see them with any regularity, and these may just be passing by.  I love how well they can imitate Red Tailed hawks, and that is how I spotted my first group in the trees behind us.  Sounded like the hawks that I miss, but turned out to be the jays having some fun. 

My wrens are also back, Carolina and Bewick’s and they keep the yard lively with their territorial claims to every corner of it.  Golden Fronted Woodpeckers are also back transferring the sunflower seed from my feeder into caches in the junipers. And how fitting is this, some Junco’s which we also call Snow birds and were my constant winter companions on the Cape, happened by a day or two before our “snow”, ½” of sleet and ice that brought this part of Texas to a halt.  And happened on my absolute birthday so what a great gift to this snow lover that was!

Black-crested Titmice and their Carolina Chickadee cousins are also getting pretty raucous out there, for here in TX, I think Feb is the beginning of the nesting season, at least the claiming-of-territory part.  This squabbling makes me think it has started already. 

So, the gang is back; filling feeders daily is my start-up morning chore again and with this cold weather, melting and refilling the birdbath is on my “to-do” list.  Again, “O Ye of Little Faith”, my complaining was a bit premature, that they were GONE and I would be bereft without them.

 Now, I am off to teach some third graders about hummingbirds, which amazingly, could show up here as early as next week!  Time to get the sugar water brewing and out where they can see it.  A bird-watcher/feeder’s job is never done and believe me, that is not a complaint but a thankful statement.  Next blog, back to tales from the coast “Of Palm Trees and Pelicans” waiting in the wings to be written.  Till then, may bird song, or more likely contact calls and territorial calls begin to fill your yards too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment