Friday, February 7, 2014

The Four Seasons of Texas - All in One Week




Ah, the vagaries of the weather.  In New England there is a saying “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute.”  From my provincial childhood view I thought we were the only ones to claim that but with our many moves, I learned that it was a byword for many other places, including TX.  I must say though, that none of the other states ever came close to this roller-coaster weather pattern of extremes I am experiencing in Texas.

This time last week, I had sweat rolling down my back as we focused our binoculars on a marvelous array of ducks wintering at Lake Mitchell, south of San Antonio.  It was a lovely day, but hot when you stayed out in the sun.  A very healthy coral snake thought so too as he crossed the dried winter grass not far from our car.  That was Saturday.

On Sunday, coming out of church, the wind was driving the rain sideways and it felt just like the ocean must be on the other side of this hill; that raw damp cold that is so familiar on Cape Cod.   

Monday it was blowing, but had a soft spring-zephyr feel to it.  Tuesday was beautiful, a typical June day.  Wednesday, the wind was getting sharper; it felt like football weather in Oct and then by Thursday we were back to winter with freezing rain, which is continuing today. Tomorrow’s forecast is for the mid-60’s and Sunday mid-70’s.

Now, I don’t mean to be complaining, I know many of you living north of the 35th latitude would be happy to change places. I am sure you are only varying between -20 to perhaps 30; my spread is indeed more enviable.  But one always wonders what the poor animals think of this sort of swing.  I imagine it is hard on them. It is a time to keep your feeders filled and if you are willing to buy one of those small heaters for bird baths, you can provide them with much needed water.  I couldn’t get over how many more birds I saw on my deck on the Cape when I splurged for one of those because not only will you draw in the seed-eaters that come to your feeder, but also the non-seed eaters will come just for a drink on the house.

I was reading from a Wild Birds Unlimited site how important it is for birds to bathe in winter so their feathers were kept in top form.  They claim a chickadee that has well maintained feathers, can keep a 70-degree difference between its skin and the air.  Amazing.  I remember blogging in the past about the rather astounding ability of the tiny Golden and Ruby Crowned Kinglets to survive the harsh winters of Maine just by fluffing up their feathers enough.

The other thing to point out is that it is the LIGHT, not the temperature that initiates things like setting up territories or finding that special someone for the breeding season.  Its why, even on a frigid day in Feb on the Cape, I would begin to hear the “fee-bee” territorial call of the chickadees as they started to move away from that “all for one and one for all” mentality that they carry through the winter, to “this land is my land, it is NOT your land” tune of spring. 

It is so easy to go on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology web page and listen to their recordings of the different bird songs and you can begin to pick out who is, as we used to say, “on the make” in your neighborhood.  I always found it to be a good antidote to getting the “This winter is NEVER going to
End” blues.  Spring IS in the air; you just have to listen for it.

Now, its time for me to melt the ice in the birdbath again and pour another cup of hot tea for, once again, this TX winter season may very well be interrupted by Spring Summer and Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment