Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Stubborn New Englander’s Confession



OK, OK, admit it Pat, Texas IS nice in the winter, isn’t it?  Say, it, come on, say it!  All right.
Texas IS nice, is very nice, from Jan-May.  Really.  It is one long spring with short interruptions for winter, and occasionally fall, but mostly spring.  December would fit into that spring category too but that doesn’t make it “nice” in my book.  For that matter, I really struggle with that being all wrong!  I simply can’t generate a “fa la la” feeling in days that waiver from spring to summer. 


But now, I have had my snow “fix” in Maine at Christmas, I have had my vicarious blizzard experience through my daughter in Baltimore and I am ready to feel like it really could be spring.  The birds in my yard are raising the decibels of their territorial calls, especially the titmice, what amazing volume those little birds put out. It gets extremely screechy around here when one pair dares to tread on another pairs assigned branches.  Or so it seems to me. 


Whenever there is a real racket going on outside, I slip out to see what the “breaking news” in the branches is all about.  There are a lot of feral cats around and even though my yard is fenced in, I often expect to see one lurking under the jasmine near the feeders. But so far, that has never been the case. Instead, whether it is titmice or scrub jays, chickadees or wrens that are getting all worked up, the loud annoyance seems to be directed at one another.  A, “How dare you cross into my territory” sort of thing and from my experience that is a sign that nesting areas are being fought over.  I could be wrong, but there is a whole lot of excited twittering going on out there lately.



            http://www.highlandsaudubonsociety.org/Ed's%20Indigo%20Buntings,%20etc.html

I do remember hearing chickadees making their “fee-bee” territorial calls in winter on the Cape.  If I remember correctly, I would hear it in Feb, which also used to surprise me, but establishing a bit of woods to call your own is serious business.  The ones with the best nesting trees, food supply, water, and who knows, maybe even a lovely view, will probably have the most successful nesting season.

It also stands to reason then, that if you have feeders out, water available and decent nesting trees, your yard becomes primo real estate.  Be listening then for bird rumbles. Let the racket draw you out of your house to see what is going on. You may see a male titmouse on a high speed chase of another male through the branches.  Chickadee women seem to stand by their men, so watch for 4 birds to be facing off.  Impossible to tell male from female but the males are acting aggressively while the females seem to be giving them the “Go get ‘em Harry” kind of support.


Even if you live in the more northern areas that are clearly in the grip of winter it is time to start watching and listening for this.  Remember, the days ARE getting longer and that is the signal birds are looking for.  Nesting won’t start, even here in Texas for another month or more, but house hunting may be happening where you are right now. 

And, admit it Pat, it is nice to be able to pop out on the porch to see what is going on without donning layers of clothes isn’t it?  OK, OK, it is.  Are my, “We love Texas over every other place” friends satisfied now?  Not really, for they know, in just 4 short months I will be whining again that it is just toooooo hot in Texas.  But for now, it is just right, and I AM thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment