Wednesday, August 10, 2016

A trip north to Maine ends up in Iceland!




When I said I was heading north to see my family, I had no idea HOW north it would end up being!  Just shy of the Arctic Circle kind of north!! It is, of course, a long story.  So long in fact that let’s consider this to be a series- the “Iceland Series” for I could never capture the wonder and non-stop superlatives that Iceland is in one essay.

Consider this then as Part 1- How the Trip Came To Be

My middle daughter is presently teaching at West Point and she had a few weeks leave coming to her before she had to prepare for the incoming class.  Never one to stay at home, or be content with something local she decided she would hove off to Iceland and anyone that wanted to join her was welcome.  I was at first trying to be the good Nona who offered to watch grandchildren back in Maine while the sisters and their Dad went, but in the end the oldest daughter preferred to stay in Maine. She had been travelling and hosting me for the last several weeks AND the bountiful raspberry bushes in her garden were coming due so, ”Thanks, but no thanks.” 


At first that threw us all, “You would rather pick raspberries than come to Iceland?!“ But in the end it made sense, and it turns out, she was reacting just like an Icelander.  We took one of those free tours of the city while we were in Reykjavik and the guides explained that after such long winters they revel in the time that they CAN be out so, no meetings are planned in the summer, no theater presentations, nothing that is inside is offered for no one would come!  They would concur with Kristina that she should stay and enjoy the beauty of her summer in Maine, which, in some regards, is a little like Iceland. Cold and they have puffins!

Consequently, I got to withdraw my offer of a stint as Mary Poppins and go myself.  Yippee!  I used to do slide shows, school auditorium programs, on different topics and one was on Plate Tectonics. I had always said the only place to see the Mid-Atlantic Ridge above ground was in Iceland.  So to actually see it first hand was a major excitement for me!  And it lived up to its billing; bubbling mud pots, rivers that steamed, rifts in the earth, lava flows that went on endlessly, a geologists dream!





So, the lucky participants were: my husband, my other two daughters, one, soon to be son-in-law and myself.  We flew in from different quarters, met in Reykjavik airport , rented a 4 wheel car and set off on a 10 day adventure around what would be one of the most jaw-dropping, heart-stopping, Glory-of-God at every turn, countries I have ever seen.  AND the cleanest!   Having all geothermal and hydropower means zero hazy pollution. 

Plus a country with more sheep than people means no billboards (sheep can’t read) no strip malls, (sheep don’t shop) no trash (sheep don’t buy coffee and toss the cups out later) no real crime (sheep don’t carry guns-well even the police here don’t carry guns). You get the picture, the utopian society we might have if only we had more sheep than peeps!

That then is how a person escaping the heat of Texas had her wish for cooler temperatures fulfilled.  A high of 63 in August!  Swimming, picnicking, eating out at café’s, this is as good as it’s going to get.  Icelanders are hearty people, Viking stock and they live up to it!  Of course there are the omnipresent hot pools and hot pots so it’s not a hardship to dawn a suit in jump in. In Iceland there is more danger of boiling than freezing.  That part is definitely not Maine-like.  My father-in-law once saw jellyfish in the ocean at Maine and mistook them for iceberg pieces!

Let that be Part 1.When time permits (I am still on the road heading back to Texas, where 105 temps await me) I shall return for Part2 whose title is yet to be chosen. Here is  a travelers tip: if you go to Iceland bring some device that will keep your jaw in place for jaw-dropping scenery is the order of the day.  But that will be a tale for another day.  Now I have miles to go before I sleep, and after two days of car breakdowns and needing to be towed and 7 hours in a Pep Boy lounge in Nashville, I am a bit behind schedule.  



Till then, pretend you are an Icelander and get out and play!



No comments:

Post a Comment