Saturday, February 18, 2017

I Have Seen Spring and It Is Heading Your Way!




I realize the title of this entry will only apply if you are reading this in February and you live in the North.  Living in South Texas I can never get over that “spring” or what feels like spring to me, starts around the 1st of February.  Our Spring Outdoor Classroom program begins at the nature center the first week of February and around this time, I hear the nostalgic sound of “perp, perp” coming from the trees as robins begin to move through Texas heading north.



The very first training session I had for the Outdoor Classroom was in late January.  I had only been here for a month, and although we were in the middle of a presentation, the speaker stopped and said, “Let’s go outside, there are robins on the lawn!”  Now, being a New Englander, no one has ever disrupted a meeting to look at robins but now I get it.  They are just passing through, so this is a bird Texans only see during its migration.  Now, I too, stop what I am doing when I hear their familiar calls.  And this week, returning from a yoga class, I found my back yard, covered with robins!  And it was a TREAT!  Which says something about how long I have been here (5 yrs!)


I am not sure what they were finding in the yard.  We have had a good amount of rain this winter so perhaps a worm found its way here.  If it was a worm that worked out regularly maybe it could wiggle down in this caliche soil but I kind of doubt it.  Oh, if only they had a taste for fire ants, I have PLENTY of those!  Whatever, they were gleaning away and the dog and I stood still to watch. 


Not only robins have been passing through but one of my favorite birds, Cedar Waxwings.  That they linger in my yard makes perfect sense.  Ashe Juniper is everywhere, as my scratchy throat can attest too and the female trees are loaded with berries, so the waxwings feast away.  I love their high-pitched calls that let me know I am not entirely deaf yet. Waxwings and Kinglets are a good natural hearing test that can save you a visit to the audiologist. If you can hear them, you are good. In the same way, finding the Pleiades in the sky means you can skip the eye test.


So, spring is headed your way, give them another month or so to get there.  And here, the Caracara’s are sighted more frequently now and I await the whistling tree ducks, the ones of the bubble gum pink legs and bills.  They will be calling overhead any day now.


These latitudinal changes make a world of difference.  While my grandchildren will be enjoying February break sledding and making snow forts, I will be filling my hummingbird feeders.   And yes, my Northern friends, if you want to envy me this time of year, go right ahead, but know that for 8 months of the year, you would NOT want to change places with me and the envy flows the other way.

Still, I have learned to enjoy the gorgeous days that are served up from January to April and then although it is hot in May, the carpets of wild flowers that linger through that month, make it one to be here for too.

There is a good chance that many of you up North are less inclined to be making snow forts but are just shoveling and shoveling and ready to be done with it.  Take heart-the robins are on their way!

1 comment:

  1. Great info about the Armadillo. The leprosy thing that people worry about is definitely overblown, but they have become quite a nuisance pest here in the southern U.S. I always encourage people to trap and remove them humanely.

    ReplyDelete