Sunday, May 30, 2010

"All that is Seen and Unseen" - A Chronicle of a Week of Glory Moments

What a beautiful week it has been here on the Cape. Mostly perfect temperatures, blue, blue skies and a chance to walk each morning before work. I have mentioned before, the prayer that is often on my lips is
“I believe in God, maker of heaven and earth. Of all that is seen and unseen.” and what delight I have when I find something that is, in my mind, in the unseen category. Something I might have missed if I had come a few minutes later, something that I never expected to see.

For each walk is like that, full of promise of the unexpected. For all of us, whenever we step out onto the trail, anything is possible. If I were better at remembering quotes, it seems there would be a Bilbo Baggins quote that would do well here. Or even one from our own Thornton Burgess, speaking through the voice of “Mother Nature”, “Around every bend adventure waits”, or something to that effect. Well I am here to say it does, and with my particular mindset, I thank God when it happens.

In no particular order then, this week, my delights included:

-Seeing a female Box Turtle crossing a path, right behind my yard, no doubt on her way to lay her eggs, or on her way back. At least, that would be a reasonable assumption at this time of year. She had that determined air about her. And what made it so special, is that I have often wondered about a female Box Turtle I saw close to this spot, a good 5 years ago. Was she still alive? Well, this was another female (they have bright orange eyes so you can know at a glance), and she looked about 5 years larger than when I saw her last! A good healthy lady, perhaps a different one, but how thankful I was to see, that this turtle with it’s shrinking habitat, is alive and well and living, at least part of the time, no more than 100 or so yards from my backyard. TYG! (Thank you God!)

-Hearing the begging cry of baby Kingbirds when I had been so sure Blue Jays had gotten to the eggs! I am crazy enough that this made me choke up with relief. Of course, those that know me well know that is practically a daily event with me! Maybe it’s my Italian heritage, but it doesn’t take much to bring a lump to my throat. But really, just a few days ago, I had watched two Jays diving at the nest and at the Kingbirds, who were doing there best to dive back. Jays are egg lovers like their cousins the crow, and are not above robbing a nest. Plus you often see Jays in a troop of 5 or 6. My worry was that the Jays would call in their recruits and the Kingbirds, Tyrannus though they are, would be outnumbered. I couldn’t stay and watch the outcome because I had to get to work, so the next few days, when I saw the Kingbirds in nearby trees but not on the nest, I thought the worst had happened. Thursday, when I happened upon Mom feeding a begging child I was thrilled. TYG!

-Walking along the trail that was peppered with Solitary Bee (Andrenid bees) volcanoes back in April, was the first batch of new bees buzzing all around. They fly really low to the ground, and then alight on a particular patch of leaves where they, zip, disappear into a hole you never even noticed was there. What was wild was, I had just come down this trail on the way to the bog and nothing, then on the way home, the ground was alive with these low fliers! Cool and TYG!

-Speaking of bees, the very next day, returning from the bog again, there in the middle of the trail, flying at about 4’, was something that impersonates a bee, but is really a fly, a Hover Fly (Syrphidae). You have seen them; they are yellow and black and look like bees. That’s their intention, “Stay away from me, I sting!” But they don’t. They are famous for hovering in one spot, which a real bee can’t do. And if you have really good eyes, when they are resting, notice that they have one pair of wings, whereas bees have two.

So, here was this one, right in the middle of the trail. I came up behind it, stopped in my tracks and felt just like I was flying in formation with it! It didn’t move for the longest time, and neither did I. I don’t think its compound eye saw me in my stillness. Things generally have to be moving around for insects to see them. Which, back to real bees, is why swatting at them is the exact wrong thing to do. It is also why they say bees don’t fly on perfectly still days, because they don’t see the flowers. That could be a wives tale but it makes sense, considering how their eyes work. At any rate, this chance to be in this little Syrphids flight squad for a moment was another one of those, “Unseen” treats.

So many other little things; steam rising on the pond when our temps dropped from a record high on Weds to unseasonably cool on Thurs. Another visit by the Solitary Sandpiper, the first Willet on the slough, a tern that was hunting over the pond, swooping and diving Barn Swallows rather than the more usual Tree Swallows that summer here, a Kingfisher clattering over the pond. Also exciting, 4 Wood Ducks on the pond, could these be the babies? Not in adult plumage yet, but pretty large. 4 Wood Ducks are a treat no matter what the reason. TYG!

So, what a week! When you take your time, when you find insects worthy of “wowness”, you stand a much better chance of getting to experience that “Unseen” part of life. I hope you have had some “close encounters” of your own this week. All it takes is getting out there, on any path really, and just remind yourself to LOOK on occasion. Stop, bring your mind to the present and “be there” rather than off somewhere else in your thoughts. I guarantee you will see something. Don’t worry about identifying it just appreciate what you are seeing. Or hearing. It’s amazing how much animal-generated sound is going on around us. It just takes the same kind of conscious focus to hear it.

Wishing you then, a chance to look for the “seen and the unseen” this week. And if you’re are like me, you will give thanks and praise to the One who made it all. Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Pat - I love your photos! They amplify your words. I can tell how much you love God - you marvel at his creation. Thanks for encouraging us to open our eyes and look around.
    Wish I lived on the Cape!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you were here too, you would love joining our Weds walking group, we have soooo much fun! All of the same happy mind set that we feel 10 yrs old again when we are out in the woods! Praying for Wes wedding which is coming up so soon! Love Pat

    ReplyDelete