Thursday, June 19, 2014

How to Eat a Walking Stick the Golden Fronted Woodpecker Way





Should insects ever become an important part of our diet, I have recently been privy to a demonstration of how an 8” Walking Stick is best tackled.  It was one of those “Thank you God” moments when I happened to look out a kitchen window at the right time and see a male, father I presume, offering this HUGE walking stick to his young son (the golden part of the males crest was already coming in).

First the father merely offered it to his charge; lots of “churrrss” from the young one but clearly not certain what he was supposed to do with this giant insect.  So the male, whap, whap, whapped it on the trunk of the tree and offered it again.  This time the fledgling put it in his beak while the dad held on to the other end and acted like it was getting the “juice” out.  Whap, whap again, more, not sucking, for they have no cheeks to do that, but whatever, opening and closing his bill on it to get the good insides and then, they repeated it again.  On the fourth offer the young one actually swallowed it; it was like watching a sword swallower!  Then, lots of beak wiping all around, more “yodelly” woodpecker calls and off they flew to another tree.  Lucky me, to see that!

I have written about the walking sticks before.  That very first spring in TX they were all over my porch and deck, hanging motionless in corners.  They look like they would make great predators but they are plant eaters and presumably the camouflage that is amazing IF they are on a tree, is to keep that little woodpecker breakfast interlude from happening. 

Here though, they have a propensity to hang out on my stucco walls.  “I can see you, you know.”  And so can everything else, easy pickings for these large woodpeckers.  The first spring they were everywhere, doing things that would make me shout, “Get a room!”  Second spring, hardly any, teaching me that, in Texas, just because you see it one year, doesn’t mean you will the next.  The vagaries of rain must be the reason.  Now, this spring, they are back, not as superabundantly as the first year but enough that they give me a start when I am hanging clothes and one is making like a clothesline.  Or walking on the porch roof to wash windows, finding a pair on the wall next to the window I was washing that only chose to move sloth-like away from me when the spray was getting too close.  Didn’t want to blow their cover as sticks by dashing away I guess.

It is a great moment, when you come upon an act of nature, in the act.  With my house confinement while the bone heals I hope to be ringside for many more such “on of a kind” encounters.  It is the silver lining to my broken tibia.  Not only more time to look, but: time to listen in on Animal Behavior classes from MIT, write this blog, see if I could ever sort out which anole is which and other things you are bound to hear about in the coming weeks.

Hoping your eye catches something too that makes you realize the gift of having ring-side seating for some little bit of life happening all around you.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Pat, We have a mutual friend who lives in Lincoln, NE and she asked me to pray for your healing. We have been praying at our house and now I feel like I have met you by reading your blog. You have a great positive outlook on life and a delightful way of writing with humor and celebrating God's love. Please know you will continue to be in our prayers and I hope it is OK if I drop by your blog on occasion. love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. what a treat to hear from somebody! A friend of judy's, what a little miracle it was that she wrote to me when she did, at the exact time she did, got the letter the day I broke my leg. God surely goes before us preparing our ways, now we can both pray for one another. I Am actually having fun with, I rushed about too much before and now I am forced to sit and delight in all I see. the Glory of God all around you,so there have been more blessings than curses in this and how I thank him. Love to have you reading along. As you can tell it started on Cape Cod, my gift from God 14 yr stint, it is my home. 17 moves in the military and I thought we were done. You could see my skid marks from space coming to TX but God has been faithful again and there is more to do here in a naturalist sense than I have time to do. but I HATE heat and this forced indoor life of a broken leg couldnt have come at a better time. It is a cool constant 80 in here, and I am finding summer much more bearable. Again welcome, and you will see I anthropomorphize more than any true scientist would, but then I never claimed to be a TRUE scientist .. I just play one on TV! Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pat, We share a love of nature, you and I. I am probably more of an armchair lover than someone who gets out in nature, but I do love and appreciate all that God has given us. This morning my husband and I watched a wee little wren take a dust bath in what used to be our goldfish pond and is now a hole in the ground we are slowly filling up with dirt. The little wren enchanted us with wren antics..even moving over to a deeper area in the dirt when two doves decided to join in patrolling the area. I do especially enjoy reading about those folks who live on the East Coast and write about their nature adventures...Peace in the Meadow and Other Encounters with Life by Ilene Smith of upper New York State and A Year in the Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich are two such books. Earlier this year I read from our library the book Out of the Woods by Lynn Darling about a writer who moved to Vermont. Cape Cod is one of those places I have always wanted to visit...I remember the song Old Cape Cod from records my parents played when I was a child. Like Judy, my professional life was spent being a librarian..so of course I find reading about hiking as much fun as an actual hike, but at our house we do like to walk around the neighborhood and call that our "prayer walk" since we pray as we go. I hope you will write more about what you experience now while you are forced inside and later when you get to explore, too. Praying you will Go Under His Mercy, jep

      Delete
    2. I missed that you were a librarian, some of the most engaged in life people I know are librarians too. A thirst for knowledge and the tools to get it make each one I know the most eclectic of learners..everything and anything intrests a friend of mine who was an AF wife then ended up in NH as school librarian I LOVE Berndt Heindrich. The ones where he raises a raven one about animals inwinter, and the Trees of his Forest. He includes such fascinating facts in all of them. I wonder if he still teaches at U of VT.

      I do have so many blog ideas but had to write some other things first. For that matter the last one was about this whole experience and it was giving God the glory for going before us always, preparing the way for he surely did that day. think I called it the Blessings of a Broken Leg..I sent it to Judy, if you like she might forward it on.

      I am amazed by how busy I am, things of course take longer to do, but I just finished vacuuming and then waxing the entire bottom floor. Its all wooden floors, we bought this house because it seemed more NE than Texan. And my husband brought all the plants that were scattered about the property to the deck so if someone puts my chair out there I can deadhead away and be amoung the young flock. I also love wrens..I have written about them in past blogs..they choose a mate for life and are pretty true to your property if things go well for them there.

      well lovely to chat but I need to lie down. think this gift of time may go faster than I want it to! Pain is far better than that horrible first week. Thankyou God. thanks for writing pat

      Delete