Saturday, June 14, 2014

Now you’re Ambulatory, Now you’re Not



I am 63, and so happy to be in shape and able to walk my dog, take hikes, etc.; to have two legs to ambulate on.  And really, I DO think to be thankful.  It’s often a short prayer I say, “Thank you God that I am ambulatory”. 

Well, it looks like I will have to change that prayer for a few months, switch it up to “Thank you God, broken bones heal.”  As I have pointed out before, the majority of these blogs are natural history centered, but occasionally, they become personal history, so here is a slice of my recent life.

I knew when I came to Texas that one thing that might soften the blow would be if I rediscovered my “inner cowboy”.  I rode horses when I was young and into my 30’s until having three children and jumping over fences just didn’t seem compatible; what if I broke something.  So, I stopped cold turkey.  Now just this past January, I got back in the saddle taking lessons in dressage for going over fences didn’t seem like a good idea at my age either. 

As it turns out, it doesn’t take balking at a jump to hurl you out of the saddle, but a simple stumble on the part of your horse while cantering can set the Newtonian law that “an object in motion, remains in motion unless acted upon by an outside force”.  My horse plunged down to his knees and I took flight in a cartoonish way landing directly on my head.  Thank you God for riding helmets and NOT breaking my neck, but somehow, and it will remain a mystery, I DID manage to break my lower left leg. 

Sooo, the life of this wandering naturalist will feature a lot less wandering for the next few months.  Still, I always claim nature and the glory of God are ALL around you, so the back yard view of huge live oaks will have to provide fodder for the next round of blogs. 

Actually, it has already, and because I was so busy with so many volunteer things, I didn’t have time to write.  Now I do.  Once the pain subsides a bit, I shall be back with tales of watching a Golden Fronted Woodpecker feed its fledgling, or try to feed it, a 8” long walking stick.  Bet I never see that again!

So for the moment, think of me as the one-legged, somewhat sidelined naturalist.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and the broken bone(s). I hope you will heal quickly and be back to your normal routine very soon. I know it will take awhile...my toe feels fine, but the doctor said to keep the flat, stiff soled boot on another three weeks. A long cast, though, is another story. I hope your healthy lifestyle and good exercise habits will come through for you in this crunch! Love you, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. so exciting to get a comment! and I am praying for all the decisions of this hugely important weekend to go as it was always intended to go. enjoy the trip part of the trip

    ReplyDelete