Thursday, July 10, 2014

Babies First Bath

-->

I have a confession to make; as a mom, my weakest area was chronicling my children’s “firsts”.  Perhaps I did it for my first daughter; first bath, first words, first steps, but I am quite sure that my third daughter was not adequately chronicled.  At yet, here I am, about to put down on paper what I think might have been a young group of fledgling Titmice’s first bath.  Apologies to Laura.

From my perch by the window of my own, “Private Home for Wounded Naturalists”, I was startled one day, to see a steady stream of young titmice emerge from within a huge Live Oak branch.  These trees have impossibly long, gravity-defying, limbs that grow out perpendicular to the ground for a long way before heading up to the canopy.  This particular branch was pruned at some point due to its interference with the path.  Although I had noticed a huge scar with large cracks in it, I had no idea it was the nesting spot for this particular family of Black Crested Titmice.   Titmice, like so many of our common birds, are cavity nesters.

But now, here they came; flying practically in formation, 5 of them, over to the jasmine hedgerow that is right out the window.  On the side facing me, is a bird feeder and a suet feeder; two favorite places for this new family.  On the railing above that, sits my birdbath.  Behind the birdbath, there is a scrubby offshoot of another Live Oak branch that is the favorite queuing spot for birds awaiting the bath.


Four of the five, arranged themselves on this offshoot while one brave one entered the birdbath, not to drink but, it appeared, intent on a bath.  And yet, instead of diving right into it, he stood in the center for a long time.  The other four watched expectantly, as he slowly started to turn in a circle. Still, not starting the customary splashing, he held his ground.  I felt I could practically see the wheels turning, when, finally, he made small dipping motions with his wings.  Little splashes; more standing still; others still watching. 

“Man, up little bird; go for it; the full Monty”, was my spectator’s cheer, which it finally did.  “That’s it!”, the more vigorous splashes that would get the job done.

The spectators left their branches and began to join in, one or two at first, until the whole gang was in.  They too started with timid splashes, but gained momentum after a bit and water was flying all around.

In the next blog, why don’t we discuss how very important it is for birds to have access to water and how a birdbath is really the key to seeing the most species of birds. Not all birds are seedeaters but ALL are water “needers.” 


Now, don’t tell my daughter I wrote this.  It might open old wounds. 

3 comments:

  1. Still trying to post a comment. We'll see if it works this time. JKJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I finally figured out how to do this (I think). Your way with words brought a smile to my face. I liked the phrase "private home of wounded naturalists" and chuckled. How amazing to be able to see the birds flying in formation and learning how to use the bird bath. God is bringing good out of your wounded state; time to sit quietly and observe all this nature right outside your window. JKJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a whole "Yeah God" essay after this happened to say exactly that..it took a "break" to take a "break" and it all has been such a gift. How much I do appreciate all your good advice and the others too, someone to polish what we write. Color me thankful!

      Delete