Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Buck Stops Here



Actually, several bucks stop here.  I live in one of those fenced in communities that has more deer per acre than people.  As it is fenced, it seems they are here to stay and looking for handouts.  When I moved here, I was surprised to find so many people feeding them, especially as these same people complained about how many there were. But perhaps the feeding is a sort of “protection money” thing.  “If I feed you, do you promise not to eat everything I planted in my yard?”

At first I pooh-poohed it.  I am a naturalist; I know the concept of “carrying capacity”.  The more you feed them, the freer they will feel to multiply. But then, they started showing up in my front yard.  Here they came, majestic bucks with huge racks, does with those liquid eyes.  Filling the front yard and how can an Italian, hard wired to feed things, resist?

I wasn’t going to give in to buying corn; that is essentially like feeding them cotton candy. Buying actual deer food wouldn’t sit well with my thrifty husband.  Instead, I started tossing out vegetable scraps, things that would go into a compost pile if I had one.  Scraps, that on Cape Cod, I just turned into my garden.  Here in the Hill country “turning” something into the “soil” only works if you are willing to wield a pickaxe.
griffinsguide.com

 Now I am hooked, and they are hooked.  Early morning visits treat me to sights of fawns on wobbly legs and bucks going through their antler development. However, for about 10 days after I broke my leg, I could barely move, let alone get food out to them and it about killed me.

Amusingly, they would all line up, facing the house, staring at the door as if to remember some incantation that would make it magically open and deliver food. Creating more angst for the hard-wired-to-feed Italian that I am.  Once I was finally given a hard cast and crutches, I was able to hobble out and feeding resumed.  I know, I know, I should have known better than to ever have started.  So, this is a confession of sorts.

www.mpgnorth.com
 However, I will never again be treated to watching antler development, doe pecking order, fawn growth, etc. at such a close range.  We will not be in Texas forever, so I am taking advantage of this behavior lab that is right out my door.

Next article, let’s talk about antler growth.  Many of the facts will be common knowledge for hunters but, perhaps, not for the rest of us.   Starting with dispelling the myth that you can tell a buck’s age by how many points are on the antler.

 Did you know; the only female deers with antlers are reindeers?  So if you ever thought Dancer might have been a girl’s name, as in “Now Dasher! Now Dancer! Now Comet and Vixen!”, it probably was.  Next time then, “The Bucks Stops Here-Part two.”



5 comments:

  1. So the other day I glanced at my dozen roses garden and saw masses of blooms. I must pick those, I thought. A few hours later, I looked and the flowers were ALL GONE. Dessert after the corn they are swiping from our farmer! Wish they'd stick to my compost pile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is hard to accept! do you think they snipped them to the next group of 5 leaflets? The deer in our neighborhood in Fairfax were my best pruners ever. Here I swear they will try anything once. My asparagus ferns on the front deck all had branches ont he ground as if they tried them, said "yuck this is awful! You got to try this until they all had and my plants were half their size but not really eaten. I am lucky my back yard is fenced. Heading to ME one week from today, the gimping Nona! Hope all is well in your quarter, hard to accept school is not that far off. pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you see the deer so close up! That is a treat. I chuckled at how they stared at your door waiting for a feeding when you were first laid up with your broken leg. I wonder what they will think when you are gone for the extended time to Maine and New England. Will you have the neighbor boys put food out for them? Does the population get too dense in the fenced area that the herd must be culled? Can they jump over the fence and leave the area, if they so desire? Looking forward to learning more in the next post. JKJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. We found that the deer are not as keen on herbs, especially the ones that have a strong odor like rosemary, but they do like the herbs like burnet that have a cucumber flavor and not a strong odor. My favorite thing is to see the mama and babies in the spring. jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and that is what makes the carnage worthwhile!pat

      Delete